Tuesday, January 27, 2009

If you have good news

If you've got good news today, please leave a comment and tell me what it is.

I hesitate to even write anything on here today because I'm stuck on the old adage, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  But I've never been one for adages, and I'm afraid that if I indulge to urge to clam up and wait this out, I'll grow a spiny, calcified shell and sink way down into the mud and only reappear when I cut someone's unsuspecting foot.

We're at the point in the deployment separation where all sorts of things start to feel dangerous unmoored.  Mostly my sense of perspective.  I have this bad habit of telescoping my current bad moods out into philosophical questions of good and evil and the essential, unsolvable loneliness of the human condition.  Blanket statements appeal to me right now.  I'd like to wrap myself in them and ignore the scrambly little details of small, specific, and potentially solvable problems.  

If I were a plant today, I'd be one of those horrifying ones that grows a big, dry puffball of poisonous spores and then waits for someone to brush up against it to explode.  

2 comments:

Pancho said...

It snowed 10 inches last night. This morning was gloriously sunny, white, and clean. Also, I love you.

Rachel said...

I love you too. You're the best brother ever.